Initially constructed within the ninth century, the current palace dates from the 14th and early fifteenth centuries and is adorned with superb paintings and sculptures. To create their airy Gothic masterpiece, the Venetians perched the majority of the palace on top of an obvious fretwork of loggias and arcades.
SALA DEL CONSIGLIO DEL DIECI
This was the assembly room of the immensely powerful Council of Ten, founded in 1310 to investigate and prosecute individuals for crimes regarding the safety of the state. Offenders awaited sentence within the close by room, the Sala della Bussola. In the same room is a bocca di leone (lion’s mouth), used to publish secret denunciations, one among several within the palace. Convicts have been sent across the Bridge of Sighs for incarceration.
According to legend, the Bridge of Sighs, built in 1600 to link the Doge’s Palace with the brand new prisons, takes its name from the lamentations of the prisoners as they made their walk over to the workplaces of the feaed State lnqusitors. Slightly below the leaded roof of the Doge’s Palace are the piombi cells. Prisoners held here have been more comfortable than these in the pozzi cells within the dungeons at ground level. One of the most well-known inmates was the Venetian libertine Casanova, who was incarcerated right here in 1755. He made a daring escape from his cell within the piombi via a gap in the roof.
The Doge’s Palace was the Venetian Republic’s seat of power, and residential to its ruers. New doges had been nominated within the Sala dello Scrutinio, and have been chosen from the members of the Maggior Consiglio, Venice’s Great Council. As soon as elected, a doge occupied the post for the rest of his lifetime.