Rising high on a rocky crag, this magnificent castle was outstanding in Scottish historical past for hundreds of years and is still one of the finest examples of Renaissance architecture in Britain. Legend has it that King Arthur wrested the unique fort from the Saxons, however there isn’t any historical proof of a castle at this location earlier than 1124.
The current constructing dates from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and was last defended in 1746 against the Jacobites, who have been primarily Catholic Highlanders wishing to revive the Stuart monarchy to the throne. Between 1881 and 1964, the castle was used as a depot for recruits into the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, though it serves no military function at the moment.
Stirling Castle was strategically important to Scotland’s military resistance to the English, and was consequently regularly under siege. In 1296, Edward I of England led a devastating invasion that defeated the Scots, however William Wallace organized a revolt, recapturing the castle in 1297, solely to lose it once more the next year. On June 23, 1314, Scotland, led by Robert the Bruce, gained back its independence at the Battle of Bannockburn. Nevertheless, the wars with England continued for an additional 300 years. The castle’s last army use was towards an attack by the Jacobite military in 1746, after which the English military arrange barracks right here till 1964.
The Great Hall is the biggest ever constructed royal corridor in Scotland and was erected by James IV between 1501 and 1504 to host lavish state events and banquets. Adjustments have been made to the hall within the 18th century to strengthen the castle’ s defenses and to create space for army barracks. After more than 30 years’ work, the Great Hall was restored and reopened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1999.
Constructed for James IV round 1496 as his personal residence within the fort, the King’s Old Building stands on the highest level of the volcanic castle rock and commands long, wide views. The construction now serves as the regimental museum of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and houses a set of memorabilia that features medals, uniforms, and weapons.