Constructed within the 14th century by the Knights of Rhodes, who occupied Rhodes from 1309 to 1522, this fortress inside a fortress was the seat of 19 Grand Masters, the nerve center of the Collachium, or Knights’ Quarter, and the final refuge for Rhodes’ residents in times of danger. It was destroyed by an unintentional explosion in 1856 and restored by the Italians within the early twentieth century as a residence for Mussolini and King Victor Emmanuel III. The palace comprises some priceless mosaics from sites in Kos, after which a few of the rooms are named. It additionally houses two exhibitions – Ancient Rhodes and Medieval Rhodes.
STATUES FROM KOS
Through the restoration of the palace, lovely Hellenistic, Roman, and Early Christian mosaics have been taken from buildings on the close by island of Kos and used to rebuild the palace’s flooring, together with these of the Chamber with Colonnades and the Medusa Chamber. The magnificent statues displayed within the Central Courtyard had been additionally introduced in from Kos; they date from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
THE KNIGHTS OF RHODES
Based within the eleventh century by retailers from Amalfi, the Order of Knights Hospitallers of St. John guarded the Holy Sepulcher and defended Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem. They grew to become an army order after the First Crusade (1096-9), however took refuge in Cyprus in 1291 when Jerusalem fell to the Muslim Mamelukes. They then purchased Rhodes from the Genoese and conquered the Rhodians in 1309. A Grand Master was elected for all times to govern the order, which was divided into seven Tongues, or nationalities France, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Provence, and Auvergne. Every Tongue protected an space of town wall often known as a Curtain. The Knights constructed some tremendous examples of medieval army structure, together with 30 castles in Greece’s Dodecanese islands.
The Ancient Rhodes exhibition is located off the Central Courtyard in the north wing of the palace. Its marvelous assortment is a result of forty five years of archeological investigation on the island, and contains vases and collectible figurines-dating from the prehistoric interval as much as the founding of town in 408/7 BC -excavated from the Minoan site at Trianda. Additionally on display are jewellery, pottery, and grave stelae from the tombs of Kamiros, Lindos, and lalysos, which date from the eighth and ninth centuries BC. Within the south and west wings is the sumptuous Medieval Rhodes exhibition. Covering the 4th century AD to the town’s conquest by the Ottoman Turks in 1522, the displays here present an insight into commerce and everyday life in Rhodes in Byzantine and medieval instances, with Byzantine icons, Italian and Spanish ceramics, armor, and army memorabilia on view.